Friday 27 June 2014

Holiday Layouts

The weather down here on the south coast has been glorious the last few weeks (although a bit cloudy today!) and the sunshine and warmth reminds me of holidays we've been on and this makes me want scrap my holiday pics!

This photo was from a holiday in Ibiza a few years ago and of course we took a whole load of photos of the scenery and each other but we had none of all 3 of us .... until the very last morning when we stopped for a drink in a little beachside cafe and realising the lack of "Us" photos asked the waitress to take a photo! Selfies weren't so popular then!


I used a sheet of Heidi Swapp Dreams Come True 12 x 12 paper for the background as it has a design similar to sun rays on it which fitted the theme perfectly. I began by layering up a few strips of patterned papers. The red "Life is Beautiful" paper, the little Adventure sticker and the doily sticker behind the journal card are all from Echo Park's Capture Life Collection. 


The title stickers are some old Jenni Bowlin alphas which were just the right red to remind me of the hot sun and matched my t-shirt. I kept the embellishment quite simple with a few more stickers, a resin flower and a "Summer" Flair badge from my stash (sorry I can't remember the brand/collection of some of the embellishments), cork arrows and a cork camera (with a red enamel dot on top), a handful of enamel dots and some drops of Colour Shine gold mist.

Down in the bottom left corner I stamped the little aeroplane and added the date. 

When I'm making a layout, I try to include a whole variety of different textures. So, apart from paper I'll aim to use at least 3 other textures. On this page I have cork, metal (the flair badge), the resin flower, enamel (dots), chipboard (the "live in the sun" embellie is a chip piece!) ink and mist so I think I've acheived (and exceeded) the three textured elements on this page. You could try including lace, ribbon, twine, thread, felt, acetate, vellum, buttons ....

I've also just seen that my daughter's cuddly bunny named Flopsy also sneaked into the photo and as she was her constant companion on the holiday I think I will add another line or two of journalling about Flopsy being in the photo too!!

Do you scrap holiday photos from years gone by when the weather reminds you of that holiday?

Have you ever added extra journalling to a layout after you thought it was all done?!

If you've made a holiday layout recently or included lots of different textures on a recent project or this post inspires you to do so, please do leave a link in the comments so we can stop by and see your work or why not post your layout to our facebook page - we'd love to see it!!


9 comments :

Katrina said...

I love the colours of the patterned paper. I too have holiday photo's to scrap and have been looking for the right paper. Are the yellow and blue strips from Echo Parks Capture Life range too?

Becky said...

Lovely layout - I like the flair badge, it really goes well with the summery feel. I don't normally scrap photos from years gone by, but then I am usually a year behind with scrapping, so this summer I am scrapping last summer'a photos!

Sarah said...

Hi Katrina - The red and the pale blue strips are Capture Life but the yellow cameras are a piece of old Bella Boulevard paper!

scrappyjacky said...

Such a lovely photo....I have very,very few photos of us all together.....wish I had more.
Love the page.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Love the sunrays background and that cute little cork camera. Great idea to add the enamel dot.

My Little World said...

This is gorgeous....love the paper and all the embellishments.

Annie Claxton said...

A lovely page Sarah, great design and full of sunshine and fun details, perfect. Great way to use up small pieces of patterned paper too.
I reckon at least half my scrapping is old photos - scrapping as we know it now hadn't been invented when my kids were young and I didn't discover it until 2007 so I have 40 years' worth in shoeboxes to catch up on! :o)

Lesley G said...

A pretty page - I hardly ever journal so there's not much chance of me adding any extra!

Lisa-Jane said...

Love the placement on this layout Sarah!