Thursday 15 May 2014

Undivided Attention Part 3

Hi there, its Lisa-Jane here with the final part of the series where we embrace using pocket based products for non pocket projects.  Now try saying that fast....

If you missed them, you can catchup on part 1 here and part 2 here!

I'm using Simple Stories Homespun collection for today's projects!

First up today, I want to show you a home decor project.  The sentiments on this 6x4 card really struck a chord with me as things I need to remember so I decided to make it into something to go on the wall in our (hopefully) new home.  I simply rounded the corners and mounted it onto some red patterned paper from the collection and then mounted it again onto one of the larger 8x6 cards.  I added a couple of stickers to the corners and then put it inside the frame.


I wanted to add some more detail but I didn't want to cover up any of the wording and I didn't have a frame big enough for a larger insert so to get round this ....


I simply added a pretty sticker to the top corner of the outside of the frame and some chipboard and a piece of banner strip opposite to give a bit more interest.


I'm looking forward to abiding by these rules and seeing it on the wall of our new home.  With that in mind, I came up with this final little project to help contain the stress of the house move.


At a recent retreat I went on, one of the girls gave us all a little Moleskin notebook.  I love anything kraft coloured that I can alter and the bits and pieces I had left in the Homespun kit were very home themed.  I decided to make a little book to served as a reminder of what is actually important about your house and also to help me keep track of information and ideas for our potential new home.


I decorated the front with one of the 6x4 cards and some brads and chipboard from the collection.  I needed to keep the inside decoration quite flat to avoid the pages getting too chunky so inside I stuck to using the 6x4 cards and stickers.  


I created tabs using a die on the 2x12 strips and then decorated both the front and back of each dividing page.  I will write on the tabs in a black journalling pen to make them easy to find too for now I used the alpha stickers to indicate each section.  How perfect is that telephone sticker for the contacts page?!


Sometimes I added a bit of washi tape or a punched border from another 2x12 section and sometimes I just rounded the corners or added a sticker.  As always, I inked the edges using Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  My daughter made Sarah laugh the other day when she demanded to use my blending tool on something she was making because she always inks her edges too!


Some of the images on the collection are ideal for adding a bit of stitching.  This suits the theme really well and adds texture without increasing the dimension too much.


I used up a few more stickers on the back pages too - this was a great use for those pieces that I would find hard to use on scrapbook pages.


 I used a final card and 2 perfect pieces of chipboard on the back cover to complete my little notebook.  I will probably need to add a bit more adhesive to these pieces as the book will be in my handbag but otherwise most of the bits are contained within the book itself so it should be fine.


Hopefully it will help to make things a little bit less stressful but we shall see!  I really enjoyed making it and trying to keep in mind that you make your house your home by what you do inside it and the people you live with and that it will all be worth it in the end.

So, what do you think?  Lots of layouts, a framed piece and an altered notebook and not a pocket page protector in sight.  Do you still think you can only use these types of products if you do pocket scrapping or have these projects made you think outside the pocket a bit?  I hope so because I wouldn't want to miss out on some of the beautiful designs like this and I wouldn't want you to either.  
Happy scrapping!

Bye for now
Lisa-Jane xx

Simple Stories Products (including the Homespun Collection) is available in the S J Crafts Shop here: http://www.sjpapercrafts.co.uk/simple-stories-364-c.asp

Lisa-Jane blogs about her scrapbooking, family and life on her blog : Inside My Head


3 comments :

scrappyjacky said...

Love your picture frame....great idea.

Lou said...

ooh I love the picture frame too LJ X lovely projects x

Annie Claxton said...

Fabulous project - I always love altering books and journals, this is totally gorgeous, it would make a great housewarming gift if you could bear to give it away! also love that yo uhave your daughter inking her edges already! :o)