Sunday 26 August 2012

6 x 6 Celebration - Part 2

I hope your Bank Holiday weekend has been good so far!

If you are back for Part 2 of my 6 x 6 celebration, thanks so much for coming back. If you missed Part 1 ... don't worry you can catch up on that right here!

So on to today's 6 x 6 projects ...
again, for most of these projects I have used the Everyday Eclectic collection from Echo Park.

The 6x6 pads are great for making your own embellishments and layering up different sized shapes.  They are perfect to use with punches and diecutting systems because, as mentioned in the Part 1, the scaled down patterns are ideal for smaller shapes.  Layering with different patterns is a breeze when you have a ready coordinated pad.  On this layout, I have used 6 different coordinating patterns on the embellishments but there is no way I would cut into 6 different whole sheets of 12x12.  The chances of me finding 6 coordinating scraps of sufficient size is always a frustrating task too!


I've used a circle, a scalloped circle and a pinked circle and then popped a little embellishment on the top. I inked all the edges in black soot distress ink and made a title with some coordinating stickers.  I like the white space allowing the photo to do the talking, but with the little spots of colour along the circles.


Circles have always been popular but more recently manufacturers are designing papers with layered circles. I tried to create something similar using overlapping circles. I made a similar layout recently in this post using scalloped circles in rows. I used 5 different patterned papers for my circles on my "First Swimming Lesson" layout. I wouldn't have  been brave enough to cut into that many 12 x 12 complete sheets and it would have looked very different with the larger scale prints too.  The 6x6 pads work really well for pieced designs. As well as circles you could try hexagons, or perhaps a quilt design with squares or chevrons with triangles like this tutorial on the EP Blog.


The journalling cards are from the Everyday Eclectic 12x12 collection pack as are some of the stickers and alphabets.  The blue photo mat is also from the 12 x 12 collection - sometimes it works really well to use both sizes on the same layout.  The edges are inked in faded jeans distress ink to emphasis the layers.


I often turn to my 6x6 pads when I want to cut my own title or make my own flowers.  The difference in scale is perfect for creating your own lettering because sometimes the larger prints can make them difficult to read or the pattern gets lost.  Creating coordinating embellishments with the smaller scale alongside larger panels of the full sized sheets really helps to bring a layout together and adds a sense of cohesion.  You don't need to cut into a full sheet to make your embellishments and the smaller scale patterns look better on the smaller pieces - its a win/win situation!!


For this 8.5x11 layout I have mixed up the sizes and used the 6x6 pads for my flowers by layering up different sizes using the Tim Holtz tattered floral die.  I hand cut the CHEF title using a chipboard alphabet as a stencil, and of course I inked all the edges, this time using my vintage photo ink pad.


The sharp eyed among you have probably spotted the trimmings from the quadrant style layout I showed you in Part 1.  The eclectic strip borders work so well with these smaller patterns.  Nothing gets wasted in my craft room and some of these trimmings are actually the top edge of the pad with the hole punched in it because with Echo Park Papers you get the design right up to the gummed edge!


I added a sprinkling of gems and called it done.  I adore the colours in this layout which perfectly matched her cute apron and chefs hat.  I'd forgotten how much I like to hand cut things like this - its a perfect thing to do alongside the children or in front of the television!!

I hope I have given you lots of inspiration for using 6 x 6 paper pads but I've still got more ideas to share in part 3 so be sure to come back for that.

If you feel inspired to make a layout or maybe a card using 6 x 6 papers please do leave a link in the comments so the S J Crafts Design Team can pop by and see.

Also, in Part 3 there will be news of a little prize - so why not go dig out those 6 x 6 pads and make something with them!!

Lisa-Jane
x

3 comments :

scrappymo! said...

Very cute layouts. I did notice the strips from 6x6 Part 1. teehee

Jennifer Grace said...

Great pages. I love the layered up embellies.

And your earlier page with scalloped circles overlapping, that you've linked to here, was part of the inspiration for my latest page, and looks a bit similar to your 'first swimming lesson' page here! x

Jimjams said...

I included some 6x6 sheets in my September Counterfeit Kit and they were really easy to
a) cut up - psychologically scrap-sized perhaps?
and b) coordinate and use - thanks to the smaller designs. Here's a page that features them. Thanks for getting me inspired to start using my 6x6 papers!